Friday, March 10, 2006

Great pattern, but perhaps not for me.

Here's my Project Spectrum project all finished:


Pattern: Ruby from Jems Collection by Saunashine
Yarn: about 2.75 balls of SWTC Phoenix
Color: Rose
Needles: Addi turbos size 8 and 6 for the ribbing
Size: L/XL
Changes: None. Though I ended up using less yarn than it called for.

As a fellow aspiring designer, I have to say, trying to fit people sucks. Everyone's different in more ways than you may realize. Though being knitters you've probably noticed. It's the reason no one can go out try on one pair of jeans and be done with it (at least no one I know). Because of that I don't really mean this comment as a criticism, but more as a thought. I think this pattern is probably best on women without a large difference in bust and waist measurements. I could be wrong but on my figure I end up with a large pocket or gap just under the bust down to the waist. If you're willing to play around with the decreases though you could probably remedy this.

My only other comment on this knit is that I think I would have gone with a different yarn had I knit with Phoenix before. It's beautiful yarn and has a lovely drape, but I think that for a vest I would have gone with a yarn with a little more body when knit up.

In retrospect I think a lot of these "problems" I encountered probably would have been remedied by knitting the smaller size. My bust size fell in between sizes so I took a guess. If I had knit with Phoenix before I probably would have gone with the smaller size (due to it's stretchiness).

All the comments aside, this pattern is really adorable and very clearly written. Its a fast knit and cleverly uses some basic tricks. If you are built like the model this a great, very wearable knit.



So, no more progress on my socks. It seems the turning of the heel, knitting the gusset, etc. has scared me off. Actually, this is just how I work. I go gang-busters until I hit a point where I don't know what I'm doing and then I drop it and run behind the nearest tree. Eventually, I will slowly approach it and try again. The pattern repeats itself if I hit another snag. I'm going to try and tackle them again this weekend. Everyone tells me its no big deal and I know I can handle it but at this point I think I have to call this behavior "my process."

Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

At March 10, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger carrie said...

oh, i'm sorry that you are disappointed with it! but it's still cute. i'm thinking of making the other gems vest.

 
At March 10, 2006 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fit looks super sexy, but the ribbing looks a little, um, flaccid. That yarn certainly is lucious, but I could see where it doesn't have the body to support something with structure. Nice work and so fast!

 
At March 11, 2006 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really cute top! But what a bummer that it didn't turn out as you hoped. But great job non the less!

 
At March 13, 2006 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's fab. Paired with a man's collared shirt, it could look really neat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum