Monday, February 06, 2006

Movies, starting again and almost there.

I saw an amazing movie series this week. La Meglio Gioventu (The Best of Youth). Its an Italian film (I've heard it was a mini-series, but I don't know if that's true) about a family, specifically these two brothers. It follows them through about forty years of their lives and is just beautiful. It also deals with social/political issues in the time of the story. If you enjoy classic Italian break your heart and make you laugh films, and you can commit to two 3hr films, it really is worth it.

On to knitting news:

I started on my Orangina again. Here's a shot of the very beginning.



I'm hoping the second time is the charm. I don't have any pictures of the last one but I was knitting the medium. It turns out that the sizing as you go up is a bit off. The gauge is 6st/in and you're supposed to cast on 121st for the medium. But 121/6 is about 20. Giving you a 40inch bust + or - the seaming. Basically, it was really too big on me. But the small really does (at least in the math) give you a 36 inch bust. And I'm right there at 38". Solution? I'm knitting the front half in medium and the back half in small. I know this may give me some issues in the ribbing and the armholes, but I'm prepared for that.



As for my Apricot Sweater, I'm still working on it. I have one sleeve and possibly re-knitting the back to go. I'm still debating about re-knitting the back. Its a lot of work and I'm not sure it will actually bother me. I guess I'll decided when I finish the rest of it. And since I've gotten this far without posting pics of it...I'm going to hold off posting until its finished. Plus, this week I'm going to try to remember to take some of my sweaters into school so I can photograph them on a dressform.

Finally, the verdict is back on the hats I have to finish too. Turns out my friends head is bigger than his roommates so I'm glad I stopped knitting them! Re-knitting is never pleasant. So, if all goes according to plan I'll have a bunch FO for you in my next post! It may be a few days, but its a goal.

2 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger carrie said...

what yarn are you using? is it kind of a charcoal?

 
At February 13, 2006 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of Youth was a miniseries. I am glad to hear you liked it — the reviews were excellent, but knowing an actual human liked means I'm adding it to my Netflix list.

Orangina: I have a 43 inch bust, but made the MEDIUM after several aborted attempts at the larger sizes. And I had correct gauge. My conclusion? It just fits big. The medium fits me perfect. So, going down a size is the smart thing to do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum