Monday, March 13, 2006

Back to Back

No sock knitting occurred this weekend but I did in fact do something.



For the longest time I had the first "lace" edge of Hearten done. Then it just sat there while I knit Ruby. I came back to it this weekend. I have to say I'm really enjoying knitting with Calmer. I generally don't like cotton, but for some reason this is different.



I'm not ploughing through this pattern by any means but I did manage some progress before the overwhelming need to cast on for the Phildar Jacket with the Wide Collar took me over. I'm knitting it in Aurora 8 Color 139. And I'd forgotten. I had forgotten my first love in knitting. Addi turbos and Aurora 8. Is there a better melding of metal and wool? I think not. Several times I have looked down at my knitting only to find I was at the end of the row without realizing it because everything was so smooth. As you can tell I fell in love all over again. I loved it so much I finished the back and have a little progress on a sleeve.



I don't have a pic of the sleeve though because I totally forgot to put it in my new knitting bag!



I got this from Spunky Eclectic and I really like it. I wouldn't say its love at first sight. But it is a really usable bag and I do love toile fabric. Plus, it cost me $35 so the love is growing.

It occurred to me this weekend that I've only ever knit Rebecca patterns as well as a few non-commercial blogger patterns. I've always stayed away from VK since those patterns just look scary and I haven't knit anything from IK yet. From this limited experience, I've felt that patterns for the most part always need to be altered and are never very clear.

Now, I'm hesitant to say this since I have so little experience with these patterns and everything is going so well, but they are the best patterns I've ever encountered. The translation on the Phildar pattern is actually clear and all the numbers add up (unlike Rebecca patterns). I feel this must be due to a translator who actually knits. The Rowan pattern is also very clear and makes sense in the construction. I'm only about a fifth of the way through them, but I'm really enjoying the process of knitting a clear pattern.

So, this week it'll be more pampering with Aurora 8 and maybe getting a little Calmer on the side.

4 Comments:

At March 13, 2006 6:31 PM, Blogger carrie said...

i truly love the toile bag. my mother is a toile addict, but i still like it.

i've just realized that i've been knitting mostly bloggers and online knitting mag patterns lately. i buy magazines, like the patterns, but rarely make them.

 
At March 13, 2006 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just fell in love with Audi turbos... but have never knit with Aurora 8. Guess i better get on that!

Your projects are looking great! I must say, that lace edge is very pretty!

 
At March 14, 2006 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Two projects at once - and they're wonderful looking so far. I read alot, that Calmer is really nice to work with, thinking of trying some myself. VK? I've read lots that they're lousy patterns to follow, full of errors. Hmm, glad you mentioned how well written the Phildars are.

New fan, Terry

 
At March 15, 2006 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you go. Since you last saw me I have knitted five repeats on Kiri & half a sock. I really need to change my knitting style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum