Monday, May 01, 2006

Couture School: Day 1

This is going to be a quick post as I have a little homework to do for class and after 9 hours I'm just a little too tired to type for long. Plus, today I don't have a lot to share. But I do have this:

Welcome to Britex Fabrics



This was my view as I came in the back entrance off of Maiden Lane. I got this one quick shot before I was told there is no photography allowed. As if you can call what I do "photography." Anyway, if you have never been to Britex it is probably one of the most expensive (*the* most expensive in SF) fabric stores, but they also have the best fabrics. If you look hard you can probably find everything Britex has elsewhere, but if you need it and its high end they have it.

This picture only represents the first floor. There are 3 more with notions, bridal, home decorating and remnants. Check out the website for even better pics.



After two hours we all had our fabric and were ready to head back to our class and finish our muslin fittings. (I know I promised a muslin pic but I never got one. Just think strapless with a A-line floor length skirt.)

I went into Britex knowing exactly what I wanted and hoping it didn't cost nearly as much as I though it would. It turns out it cost exactly how much I thought it would. My mother would laugh at my picking out one of the most expensive laces in the store. But then take a look at it.





Please forgive the pictures as they really do not capture the beautiful ribbons and flower motif in this lace. This lace is know as an Alençon lace, named after the town where the technique was developed. You'll just have to trust me when I tell you it is one of the most beautiful laces I've ever seen. And I've been to the lace houses in Venice.

Hopefully, when I have it on the actual dress and can take a picture in natural light it will really come through just how gorgeous it is. I am cutting out the lace motifs and placing them ever so carefully around the bodice and skirt of my dress. I'd tell you more, like the color of the dress, but I have to have something to keep you coming back :)

More pics tomorrow when we'll be doing some actual samples!

3 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 11:06 PM, Blogger carrie said...

oh, i love that lace. i'm sure it will look smashing. and you must have had such a blast roaming around the store.

sorry about angelica, by the way, but i think you made the right call.

 
At May 02, 2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That lace is amazing :o)

 
At May 02, 2006 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Britex is amazing in an overwhelming way. Speaking of local fabric stores, when was the last time you were in Satin Moon? The last time I was in there was years ago, well, actually it was today, but before that it was years ago. Anyway . . . do they ever change stock? Because I swear the stuff that was in there is the same. exact. stuff. as the last time I was in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum