Sunday, April 30, 2006

How Angelica came undone.

Angelica has been sitting on my "to finish" list for months and it has been sitting in my UFO basket for months like this:



I've decided no more! I love to knit and now have very little time to do it so I am not going to waste it on anymore projects that I know aren't for me. Tonight after knitting two rows and realizing that even if I finished this knit I would never wear it, Angelica became this:



I realize now there are a lot of contributing factors to this particular failed experiment. One is that the pattern calls for a very expensive silk yarn. I liked the pattern but knew I would never love it enough to blow a lot of money on it. So, Knit Picks Sierra had the right gauge, some silk and just all around seemed like a good substitute for the Hip Knits yarn called for. And in theory I standby that decision. However Sierra has one ingredient I have decided is not for me and I will avoid from now on: Alpaca. Its just too hot. San Francisco rarely gets below 45 degrees so plain old merino is warm enough. Plus, I hate how it makes my hands sweat when I'm knitting with it. Generally, alpaca is lovely if you need that kind of insulation, but here by the Bay you just don't need it. If anyone wants some dark magentaish silk/alpaca/maybe something else yarn, drop me a note.

Another failure this evening is realizing that my Phildar Jacket with the wide collar is probably going to be too small. What I though were conversions from cm to inches appear to actually be "sizes." Unfortunately, this means the 38-40 size I was knitting works out to be around a 36" bust. So I need to go up a size. I've only knit the back and one and a half sleeves so I'm going to have a glass of wine and frog it later this week.

Tomorrow I'm going to my first day of Couture school which I think means a trip to Britex and some rather expensive fabric shopping. I'll be sure to post some pics.

Hope all of your weekends have been less destructive and more constructive than mine! :)

3 Comments:

At April 30, 2006 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your couture class goes well. It's a shame about Angelika. She sure looked pretty, but I couldn't agree with you more about Alpaca in our climate.

 
At April 30, 2006 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it feels like a step back, but it's actually a step forward. You learned something - no more alpaca sweaters! ;o)

 
At May 01, 2006 7:40 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well, frogging is never fun, but I agree it's better than finishing a project that's not working out. I say, go you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum