Monday, April 24, 2006

It can't be knitting all the time... or at all recently


I have been knitting and I have progress on a couple of things, but nothing worth any boring progress pictures. Instead I'm going to share with you the progress pictures I have on another little project I've been working on. One that has sucked up a fair amount of knitting time.



This is my first attempt at a Bustier with boning and everything. Here's the understructure. I still need to singe the ends of the boning and attach the flannel and outer fashion fabric. Here's the construction breakdown: a layer of silk charmeuse for the nice smooth lining, then a layer of twill fabric (just straight up canvas for me) to give some body, then silk organza wrapped boning, then comes a layer of flannel to cover the inner structure and finally the outer fabric.


My outer fabric is most likely going to be a black satin or black satin with black lace. I know that's a lot of black, but I'm a bridesmaid in what is turning out to be a Goth wedding. I'm going to be pairing it with a black taffeta skirt I have yet to make. I'll be sure to post a pic of the complete ensemble even if the details won't show-up due to the blackness.

So, the whole not knitting thing. This is the problem with actually having a job and school sucking up five or six days a week. I don't know how you guys with kids etc. ever get a chance to knit. Don't get me wrong, I love how busy I am. Well, I hate work (my boss is nuts) but school is going really well and I'm learning a ton. Who knew there was so much to learn about clothes? Next week I'm starting an intensive Couture sewing class. It's six days of 9-6 sewing, mostly by hand. I think it truly earns the term "intensive." I'm going to try to chronicle the experience here next week. In the next couple days I'll try to get a shot of the muslin for the ballgown I'm making.

It's weird how into school I am now. I was never a good student. There were only a few classes in school that I did really well in, particularly in high school. I can remember my father looking at me, report card in hand, and asking my how I could have an A in AP molecular bio and a C in advanced algebra. He really didn't like my answer of "I just don't care about that class." But that's how I've always been. Very stubborn. It's a good thing I'm finally doing something I really love. I'm off to do more homework. :)

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.

-James M. Barrie

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2006 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got crappy grades in High School - because I was bored out of my brain and seriously could care less. Except in computer classes, of course ;o)

That dress is going to be amazing!

 
At April 25, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Saun said...

I look forward to hearing about the couture class. Sewing by hand definitely classifies as intensive.

(I think I just left this comment in the wrong post so I'm writing it again just in case.)

 
At April 25, 2006 10:52 PM, Blogger carrie said...

oh wow. a couture class? please post everything you do! no wonder you are enjoying school now.

i dropped honors calculus for pottery, and my dad (the math teacher) almost died.

 
At April 28, 2006 6:12 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow, your bustier looks great so far - I love boning, I must say. I used 16 pieces of boning for the bodice of my wedding dress, which was fun. Definitely post a finished photo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum