Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Looong post. Picture heavy!

Beware, long, rambly, disjointed post coming up.

I got back from my college roommate's wedding this morning. It was an interesting week, but it was a great time. I'll hit the highlights. The groom was nearly arrested at his bachelor party. The maid of honor's fiancee demanded his ring back (he returned it when he sobered up) and the bride broke into uncontrollable sobs as she started down the aisle (the tears were not of joy but of total fear of having 100 people staring at her--her dad had to talk her into staying). By the way she was walking down the aisle in a knee length black bubble skirt and white bustier with Anti-flag's "Rise-up" playing in the background.

The groom and groomsmen wore black three piece suits with Chuck Taylors and the bridesmaids were all in black with Fauxhawk hairdos (most of the groomsmen were sporting actual Mohawks so we felt it appropriate to mimic the theme). In the end it was a great party. They both are delighted to be married finally and not having to worry about throwing any kind of wedding for their parents. I think they would have hit Vegas had the mothers not been insistent. I take it as a very good sign that about six months ago they both wanted the wedding over, but the marriage to start. The happy couple are now on their way to Costa Rica. I can't wait until the pictures come back.


Thanks for indulging in that little vignette. And now for something completely different....


Many of the blogs I read, while not keeping up my own, are buzzing about the Summer of Stash. And it got me thinking. Not about how much yarn I have in my stash. I see that everyday sitting in my happy corner all soft and welcoming. Whispering things like: "Why do homework? Knit me up. I promise you'll like me. Come on first one's free..." No. What the summer of stash made me think about is what is hiding under my stash table. In my black faux alligator hat box. The UFO box. I gently opened it this evening and decided its time for a little inventory. And to fess up that some times on the blog I say I'm farther along on projects than I am as a nervous/hopeful wish thing. So here's all of it, and a little bit of shame and stagnation.

We'll start with the oldest projects in there:




This is the sleeve from Rebecca's Sweater with the Wide Collar. I can't decide what to do with this. I like the sweater but I'm afraid that it's going to make me look like the linebacker I fear I resemble. And honestly after seen the wedding video, I was in a strapless bustier, I'm not wrong about my huge shoulders. Frogging will probably occur.





This ity bity swatch like thing is actually my second attempt at starting Somewhat Cowl. I don't know why I dropped this one. I think it was the small gauge combined with trying to finish Clapotis for my Mom. I don't know if I'll finish it. But then I'd like to get the yarn out of my stash. Yep, this one is on the list for Summer of Stash.




Ultra Femme. Ah, the Ultra Femme. My problem here is that I'll never wear it. Yet another of my forgetting what I look like when presented with a model who in no way resembles me looking totally cute and like she's loving life in that top. Combine that with me having the perfect amount of all the necessary yarn and you have an almost finished object. To frog or not to frog?




Bamboo top by South West Trading Company. I think I will finish this one. And relatively soon. I'm just not all passionate about it. In fact, I never was. This was another batch of leftover yarn which needed a purpose. Second on the list.



My first pair of socks. I still have yet to get to them. I feel like I alternately need to be alone with the pattern and a block of completely uninterrupted time (I'm dyslexic, I like things untimed) or with three teachers watching me. Of course in that mental image, I'm really watching them. Another one for the list.




My new Clapotis. I'll finish this one, but then I feel no rush since I wont have anywhere to wear it for at least five months. This one will probably sit for a while.




This is the sleeve to my Phildar Jacket with the Wide Collar. I guess I have a thing for wide collars. Anyway, this was the project I was blowing through. The back then a front, then this much of the sleeve before I realized that I had converted the sizes incorrectly and that what I would end up with wouldn't close. I've frogged the rest of the jacket. But I haven't gotten over the "betrayal." This one may hit the list for this summer, if I can get over it. I hope I do since this would be perfect next fall.




Hearten is coming along. I've split the front for the V-neck so I'm basically halfway. Just the sleeves and seeming to go. This is definitely on the list.







Ms. Marigold. Most likely I will finish this first. Its a tank so that makes it faster, plus its a cute summer top.



Since I was looking at all the unfinished business I have going on in one corner of the room I couldn't help but look at the other side of the room.



This is how my brown satin and black lace dress looks right now. Almost finished. Still more hand work that needs to be done. But it really has to be done on a dressform. I'm hoping to purchase one in the next few weeks. Of course it would be easier to have one if I had some place to put it. Sigh. My studio apartment which seemed so perfect 8 months ago when I moved in and away from some crazy, one in particular, roommates is now showing its tarnish. But that's how it goes.

The last of the unfinished business (well the last I'm telling you about :)



All of these are books I've started. Most of them I've really enjoyed. At least I've enjoyed the few pages I've actually sat down and read. So by the end of the summer I want to have read all of them. Its not really a big challenge except I never seem to find the time to read. And when I do I generally opt for knitting instead. But this summer my classes are dying down a bit so I should have some more free time. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Hope you all had a good weekend!

3 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and I thought I had alot going on... ;o)

 
At June 06, 2006 8:20 AM, Blogger carrie said...

ok, please tell me that you have pictures of this wedding. it sounds positively priceless, despite the drama. you would think a non-traditional wedding would have less drama, but i guess not.

i had no earthly idea that you had so many unfinished objects. i'm stunned!

 
At June 06, 2006 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started an inventory of my UFOs months ago, but only got past the first three (one of which I keep forgetting to frog and ditch the yarn). I am finding focusing on a single project actually means finished projects. What I am trying to figure out now is why everyone loves socks so much and they bore me to tears!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum