Sunday, May 07, 2006

Day 6

So, I skipped day 5 since I really had nothing new to show you and I had been working on my project from 8:30am to 9pm. I was pretty wiped last night. Its a bit frustrating because after all of this work 1.) I'm still not done and 2.) I have nothing really interesting to show you. Here is a pic that will at least give you some idea of the shape and the bodice. Bear with me because I'm an even worse model than photographer (The dress actually does stay up by itself. I'm just trying to not get poked.).



Those tendrils on the lace haven't been trimmed and tacked down yet so they look a little funny. The tacking will also help add some shape to the gown (through some unorthodox doctoring). Getting some amount of shape in the waist was the major challenge in this design. I couldn't have any darts as they would look funny with the lace, but its an Empire waist so it really should have some substantial darts. It was tricky, but there is some shaping. You can really see it when I'm moving. No really, I swear.

Part of the reason everything takes so long is that every seam is sewn between 3 and 6 times. Most of those hand basted. Plus all of the ironing and general futzing, it takes a while. I do love that word. futz.

Anyway, I will continue to work on this project, though not at the 10-12 hrs a day pace. I'm shooting for a week from tomorrow being my finish date. The lace detail takes a lot of hand work and there is going to be a lot more of it on the skirt. I'll keep you posted when it gets more interesting. Plus, you never know. I may knit something.

4 Comments:

At May 07, 2006 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lacis, 3163 Adeline St., Berkeley, (510) 843-7178

Here is another place to check out - lotsa info on lace (today's SFGate had an article on them), even sewing. Terry

 
At May 07, 2006 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - wow, the dress is looking nice, lotsa great work there! Terry

 
At May 07, 2006 8:41 AM, Blogger carrie said...

looks fantastic! i'm blown away.

 
At May 08, 2006 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum