Thursday, May 04, 2006

Day 4


Finally! I managed to get a decent picture of both the lace and the Duchess Satin so now you can really see what I've been raving about, but unable to show.

I spent this morning at Britex realizing that I was once again going to spend more than intended, but exactly what was called for. This brown satin is what I found. I chatted with my teacher about the cost and she once again pointed out that if you aren't going to cheap out on the work its probably best not to cheap out on the fabric either.

Here's a shot before I cut out the pieces and basted the silk organza underlining to it. Yes, it is as wide as it looks and quite a bit longer.

This week has been such a wonderful experience in so many ways. The most important for me is that I have more confidence in my sewing abilities. Knitting came rather easily to me. I just kind of got it. This was in no small part due to my excellent teacher, but also because it just made sense. Sewing was a bit more difficult. I don't think that veritably it is any harder, but it wasn't a natural craft for me. Also sewing is only 50% needle in hand or sitting at a machine. So much of it is in the planning and the ironing and the lining and the underlining etc. Knitting has some of this, but if you have a pattern there is less preparation. Not so with sewing.

Because I wasn't naturally gifted I have always felt my sewing skills were pretty weak. This week has been great for building my confidence in my own knowledge. Now, if only I can get someone to pay me for it :)

Tomorrow I will hopefully have a finished dress to show you. I'm off to cut out more lace.

2 Comments:

At May 05, 2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow. This dress is going to be gorgous - I can tell. The fabrics are really lovely. Can't wait to see the finished product!

 
At May 05, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger carrie said...

oh wow -- it's going to be stunning. i really admire you for challenging yourself like this. i struggle with sewing, too, because i like to hurry up and go -- not wait and plan and cut and pin. can't wait to see the results!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wont You Comment? California Knit Bloggers Project Spectrum